Last Day of Summer Vacation

Last day of summer vacation.

It’s going to be challenging to go back to work tomorrow and see people who aren’t on Facebook and didn’t know about the cancer returning and chemo.

The inevitable “How was your summer?” question may pop up.

I am not going to say, “Well, five days after school ended I had a PETMRI scan, six days after I was told the cancer doubled and I was on the placebo of the trial. And the seventh day after school ended I began a heavy intravenous chemo which caused me to gain thirty pounds, lose my hair, feel nauseus, lose my taste, spend all day inside out of the sun, got a port put in my chest, my bones now hurt, and I didnt get to do anything I had planned all year on doing.

Other than that, it was good. How was yours?”

So I’m hoping people just say, “Hey Keri! Great to see you! Have a fabulous year!”

If asked, I’ll focus on the love sent to me strangers, support give me to me by friends, a summer of baseball and a championship, a summer son and a new family in our life, my amazing nurses and doctors and staff giving me tips and helping me through chemo, sunsets at the beach, magic fountain runs, giving room trips, full moon meditations, camelback, zip lines, tree top rope courses, a backyard night with magical breathing, and lots of hugs and love.

I spent the morning yesterday looking up bone pain remedies, food shopping and rallying, and by 3:00 pm I was able to get up and head into the pool for the first time in almost three weeks since the port has healed. It was the first time all summer the five of us were in the pool at the same time and it was lovely. My Tomcat Summer Son Joe texts me every Thursday to see how I’m doing at chemo, and said he wanted to come out to visit. He brought his brother with him last night, and we invited my mom and dad and robs parents. We had a lovely last minute barbecue, and I’m so glad I ended my summer with Joe. He had quite the experience here, and saw a family learn how to carry on during the hardest summer of our lives. He was a big part of it, and I remember saying to him the night before chemo started that he could leave if he wanted. I’ll always be grateful that he didn’t skip a beat and said he wanted to stay and help out. He is a special young man, and I’m so glad Quinn has a big brother figure to look up to.

Today I’m going to work on lesson plans and schedules and newsletter and bus list templates. I’m going to try and head to the Giving Room as it has been weeks since I’ve been there.

Tomorrow teachers and staff in my district head to school. We start with what I call the “Pep Rally”, bring food for the food pantry, then head to our buildings for meetings and set up. I’m also opening my classroom for my new batch of kinders to drop off supplies and ease any worries.

I’m still debating what color hair to wear tomorrow… pink? Silver? Brown? Blonde?

May today’s last day of summer be a long slow one, may i get all I need to get done today crossed off my list, and may I continue to heal.

In Jesus’s name, amen.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s